Director of Youth and Family Learning
DESCRIPTION:The Director of Youth & Family Services is responsible for the successful development and delivery of services and programs to families, children (birth to 13), teens and young adults throughout the Library; designs and executes the strategic initiatives to address needs; coordinates collection development and selects materials for purchase; ensures effective communication with other departments.
This position acknowledges and accepts the library’s vision, mission and core values, respects the library’s confidentiality policy and maintains the integrity of Russell Library.
The Director of Youth & Family Services performs professional, managerial, and administrative work of a highly responsible nature in directing and coordinating the activities of the library’s programs. With considerable independent judgment, discretion, and initiative, this position develops youth collections, plans, and implements services and activities to meet present and anticipated community needs. This position ensures the highest level of service is provided by staff to all patrons.
The incumbent works closely with Teen Services to ensure a robust continuum of service to youth from birth to 18 years old.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Masters’ Degree in library science from a school accredited by the American Library Association is required. Teaching experience is a plus.
- Minimum five to seven years of increasingly responsible leadership experience in public services, with a concentration in youth and family services is
- Three to five years of management/supervisory experience is required. Union environment experience is preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain system-wide collaborations with community agencies is required.
- Solid project management skills are required.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of modern library operation and administration.
- Thorough knowledge of and background in various types of informational materials in various formats including electronic.
- Strong commitment to working within a team environment is required.
- Solid working knowledge of all MS Office suite software is required.
- Adept at process management; knows how to organize people and activities.
- Knowledge of various technologies including social media is required.
- Ability to set clear objectives and measure and monitor process, progress and results, including fiscal control.
- Future oriented, can articulate vision of possibilities and likelihood of their success. Has broad knowledge and perspective.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups, both professional and non-professional, co-workers, management personnel, the public and others.
- Solid written and verbal communication, listening, organization and priority setting skills.
- Strong public relations skills.
- Ability to provide welcoming and effective customer service.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple priorities.
- Ability to think quickly, assess a situation and make a sound decision.
- Ability to work a varied schedule inclusive of evenings and weekends.
- Ability to create clear and concise reports, and to deliver them orally to a wide variety of audiences.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- Ability to deal effectively with elected officials, and other public constituencies.
This position offers a salary ($55k – $70k) commensurate with experience and education, and an accompanying health & retirement package.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants should submit a letter of interest and resumé with application.
A job description and applications are available online at the Russell Library website:
PLEASE SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO:
Matthew K. Poland, Library Director and Chief Executive Officer
Russell Library, 123 Broad Street, Middletown, CT 06457
The position will remain open until filled.
Russell Library requires a Criminal Background Check on applicants who are selected as a finalist for the position. A criminal record does not necessarily eliminate you from employment with Russell Library. Each conviction will be reviewed with respect to the offense, circumstances, seriousness and the position for which you apply.
Russell Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.