Minuteman Library Network
The Minuteman Library Network is currently seeking an energetic and customer service focused individual for the position of Cataloger. If you are interested in applying please send cover letter and resume to Jeremy Goldstein, email@example.com
Closing date is July 28,2017
Under the general supervision of the Supervisor of Resource Management, performs original and copy cataloging for all formats of materials and provides related support to member libraries.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs original and copy cataloging in all formats in English and foreign languages, and reviews and edits records as needed.
- Searches Bibliographic Utility (e.g., OCLC) for copy cataloging; performs basic editing of OCLC records; downloads records to match and overlay brief bibliographic records for on order and received materials in the Minuteman database.
- Participates in database maintenance and quality control by correcting errors, merging duplicate records, and upgrading or overlaying temporary or short records into full MARC records.
- Communicates regularly with member libraries by phone and e-mail to provide support, resolve cataloging problems, and explain policies and procedures.
- Prepares reports and lists of records using the Integrated Library System.
- Assists with the work of other Catalogers when the workflow of the department requires it.
- Assists the Supervisor of Resource Management in coordinating Department workflow, writing policies and procedures for the department and libraries, and other projects as requested.
- Serves on Network committees and task forces as needed.
- Keeps up-to-date on national and local library developments related to cataloging and the Integrated Library System, through professional literature, workshops, conferences, and interaction with professional peers.
- Performs special projects and other related duties as required, directed, or as the situation dictates.
- Regular attendance at the workplace is required.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA accredited institution and one to three years experience in original and copy cataloging across a variety of formats, preferably in a traditional library setting.
- Demonstrated familiarity with cataloging standards and formats.
- Experience with Integrated Library Systems (ILS), preferably Sierra.
- Experience using the OCLC cataloging interface (Connexion).
- Knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office, and other software necessary for assigned duties.
- Ability to work independently and use professional judgment to solve problems.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing, and to collaborate with individuals and groups.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Basic reading knowledge of one or more foreign languages a plus.
- Familiarity with issues of consortia.
Full Time: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: $23.39 – $32.74 per hour.
Benefits: health insurance, retirement plan and more.