Merrimack Valley Library Consortium
Posting Date: August 8, 2017
Salary: $65,695 – $87,480, in ten steps
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: 37.5 hrs. per week
Schedule: During MVLC Office hours (M-F 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM)
Job Title: Systems Librarian
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Do you see yourself as a person whose purpose it is to make sure that technology is easy to use, meets the library’s needs, stays as out-of-the-way, and is as transparent as possible? Are you happy when staff do not have to think about the technology (unless they want to)? If you answered yes to these questions, we have a position for you!
The Merrimack Valley Library Consortium is seeking an innovative, energetic and creative Systems Librarian who will bring “High Touch” to our “High Tech” environment. MVLC maintains this technology environment supporting both MVLC member libraries, and MVLC central site staff in their individual and cooperative work.
The Systems Librarian is responsible for all technical support services, system administration, operation, management, installation, and implementation for MVLC’s automated systems. These include:
- The BLUEcloud Library Services Platform – Powered by Symphony. SirsiDynix hosts this software for MVLC.
- A telecommunications network serving MVLC central site and 32 member library locations
- Telephony systems. DSCI hosts this system for MVLC.
- Technical support and coordination for Microsoft Office 365 collaborative environment, including Microsoft Exchange e-mail services, SharePoint CMS, and the other collaborative tools available in that environment. Microsoft hosts this system for MVLC.
- All software, hardware, mobile devices, and other MVLC managed peripherals.
The Systems Librarian works in collaboration with the Executive Director to plan and coordinate new automation systems for the consortium. The Systems Librarian supervises MVLC’s Technology Services staff.
The Systems Librarian maintains collegial and effective working relationships with MVLC’s automation partners to ensure timely resolution of support issues, software and hardware upgrades, installation and implementation of new hardware and software products.
The Systems Librarian will:
- Assists MVLC member libraries in developing their long and short term technology plans.
- Provide on-site assistance for PC and network related issues for member libraries.
- Provides technical documentation and training for staff at MVLC member libraries.
- Maintain an operating knowledge of MVLC policies and procedures, system documentation, and vendor support systems.
- Create reports, compile statistics, and implement custom applications as requested by the Executive Director, MVLC members, MVLC user groups, and standing Committees.
MVLC considers this position to be a senior-level position for a degreed librarian. The successful candidate will collaborate with the Executive Director, colleagues on the MVLC staff, and our members. If you are willing to infuse this position with relevance through hard work, energy, creativity and dedication to serve MVLC’s member libraries, this position is for you!
- ALA accredited MLS
- At least 5 years’ technical experience managing complex automated systems and telecommunications networks
- Experience in System Administration of an Integrated Library System, preferably The BLUEcloud Library Services Platform – Powered by Symphony
- Public library experience desirable
- Proven customer service orientation
- Positive attitude and flexibility
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience in supporting a PC-based network
- Knowledge of TCP/IP telecommunications networks
- Knowledge of the Symphony API
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
General office environment with heat, air conditioning, and fluorescent lighting. Requires vehicle to attend off site meetings
The noise level in the work environment is low. Moderate to high levels of stress may occur.
May spend extended periods at workstations performing tasks requiring eye-hand coordination, finger dexterity, and extensive keyboarding and viewing of computer screens. Requires ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer. Answer telephones and maintain multiple files. Periods of standing may be required during training sessions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Closing Date: When Filled
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Eric Graham, Executive Director, via email to email@example.com.
The MERRIMACK VALLEY LIBRARY CONSORTIUM (MVLC) is a member-driven, patron focused library network serving 36 public libraries in the greater Merrimack Valley region of Massachusetts. The Central Site is located at 4 High Street – Suite 175, North Andover, MA. MVLC is a member governed, customer support organization that helps librarians in the Merrimack Valley serve their communities. Our libraries serve an aggregate population of 766,883 citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.