Library Director, Adams Public Library, Central Falls, Rhode Island
The Adams Public Library is located in Central Falls, Rhode Island. Since 1910, the Library has been an active, vibrant community institution committed to the education and cultural enrichment of its users. After the 2011 city bankruptcy a devoted set of volunteers was recognized by the local and national press for its tireless efforts to keep its doors open during the City’s financial distress. As Central Falls transforms itself into an efficient, productive modern city, the Library will play a key role as a knowledge and activity center for the City’s public and private sectors, and for its diverse community.
The Board of Directors is seeking an innovative and dynamic Library Director who will be charged with the exciting opportunity to shape the Adams Public Library in the future and develop new services that are responsive to its users. The Director will be responsible for an initial evaluation of all Library operations and charged with implementing a strategic plan that not only meets community needs, but also incorporates efficient, best practices within all significant areas of Library operations. The Director will also be responsible for the hiring and management of all staff, and serve as the Library’s principle promoter and point-of- contact for all strategic relationships, including those with professional associations, the state’s Office of Library and Information Services (OLIS), and the Ocean State Libraries (OSL) consortium. With significant support from the Board, and the local business community, the Director will have the opportunity to develop and grow a unique institution.
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited program.
- At least 5 years of work experience in a professional setting.
- At least 1 year of supervisory experience in a professional setting.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Skill in strategic planning, financial management, and grant writing; knowledge of standard office procedures, practices, forms and equipment.
- Excellent time management skills; ability to prioritize multiple tasks and deal effectively with interruptions; ability to identify and analyze complex issues and to develop appropriate recommendations.
- Appreciation of, and superior knowledge of, library-related software, including social media tools.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the latest consumer technology trends and their increasing impact on library operations.
- A strong, service-oriented attitude focused on designing, implementing, and evaluating new services and improving existing services, as well as the ability to instill and support this attitude among staff.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lead change, develop staff competencies, and build high-performance teams.
- Fluency in Spanish.
- Experience with low-income communities and their needs.
- Experience with the feature and workflows of at least one Integrated Library System (ILS,) preferably III Sierra.
- Experience with the interpretation of local and state government regulations.
- Knowledge of marketing and public relations.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $55,000 – $65,000. The selected candidate will also enjoy benefits competitive with those enjoyed by other Rhode Island public library directors, to include but limited to a flexible Paid Time Off (PTO) program and health insurance.
The Board of Directors of the Adams Public Library welcomes all applicants who meet the above criteria, including those with significant experience in, or currently employed in, non- library settings. The Board of Trustees of the Adams Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity. All qualified applicants will receive due consideration by the Board.
To receive first consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume, via email, by Friday December 1, 2017 to the below address:
All inquiries regarding this position must be submitted via email. The Board reserves the right to modify the application deadline, and/or to accept applications after the deadline, to best serve the interest of the Library and the community.