The Brookline Public Library in Brookline, NH is conducting a search for a new Director. This FT exempt position will open in March of 2018. Beginning salary range is $45,000 – $48,000 DOE. It includes paid sick time, paid vacation time, and health benefits. A job description is listed below, and further details may be found on our website at bplnh.weebly.com, or by calling the library at 603-673-3330. Please submit a letter of interest and resumé to:
Karen Jew, Board Chair
c/o Brookline Public Library
PO Box 15
Brookline, NH 03033
Library Director Job Description
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administers board policies; reviews, updates and makes policy recommendations to Board.
- Acts as liaison for the Library with the Friends group and the community.
- Works closely with the Library Board to develop library budget, attends budget hearings, and monitors expenditures as directed by the Library Board.
- Working with the Board, reviews and revises the Library mission, long- and short-term goals and objectives on a regular basis.
- Supervises personnel; hires and helps train employees; conducts regular staff meetings; evaluates personnel; fosters professional development.
- Evaluates library services and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Administers maintenance of library facilities and equipment.
- Reviews and/or approves selection of materials for purchase; weeds/maintains collections.
- Participates in professional meetings, classes, conferences and workshops.
- Performs basic computer and printer troubleshooting.
- Performs other duties as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the theories, principles, and objectives of library science
- Awareness of current trends and developments in the library field.
- Understanding of and experience with effective participative management techniques.
- Knowledge of library reference sources, print and online.
- Familiarity with children’s, young adult and adult literature.
- Proficiency with automated library systems, computer programs and applications.
- Working knowledge of public relations procedures.
- Working knowledge of budgetary and accounting processes.
- Ability to plan, organize, supervise, and evaluate the work of employees.
- Experience in collection development and maintenance.
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills; the ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with employees and community members.
- Ability to develop, implement and evaluate library programs and services.
- Ability to see humor in absurd situations, and positive value in challenging ones.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited institution is preferred. A suitable combination of education and experience which demonstrates mastery of the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered if candidate is working on an MLS degree.
- Minimum of 3 years in a library setting, with at least one year of management experience.
- Demonstrated aptitude for continued professional growth through participation in workshops, professional reading, conferences or other educational opportunities.
- Experience with public relations and customer service.