YOUTH SERVICES LIBRARIAN WANTED
The Norton Public Library has an immediate opening for an innovative and enthusiastic Youth Services Librarian.
The Youth Services Department is a priority in this small but fast-paced library.
The Youth Services Librarian is responsible for developing, implementing, and publicizing the library’s programs and services to children, teens and caregivers; purchasing and maintaining the collection; and building relationships with schools, homeschoolers and other community partners.
Position reports to the Library Director.
This is a professional position.
The ideal candidate will bring the skills and/or ability to learn programming, collection development, readers’ advisory, circulation duties, assisting patrons with technology and participating in the library’s online presence and marketing, including the website, digital display, social media and emerging technologies.
Programs include family storytimes, Jr. Friends, enrichment programs with community groups, and summer reading.
Position is 35 hours per week and includes evening hours and a Saturday rotation
This is a benefited position and includes health insurances, vacation, sick and holiday leave
- MLS from an ALA accredited program or equivalent combination of skills and experience required
- Experience in a public library strongly preferred
- Strong public service orientation and skills
- Ability to prioritize and focus in a busy environment
- Knowledge of children’s and young adult literature
- Knowledge of library skills and operation
- Demonstrated ability with technology, including library automation, social media, digital resources
- Comfortable with Excel, Word and publishing programs at efficient speed
- Comfortable with, or able to learn, website management
- Creativity and ability to plan, develop, execute and supervise programming
- Ability to work effectively with the public, volunteers and other staff
- Excellent oral and written communication and customer service skills
- Knowledge of and adherence to professional standards
- Physically able to bend, stretch and lift materials from floor to overhead shelves
- May be required to move and arrange office furniture in the library, such as chairs and tables
- Vision and hearing at, or correctable to, normal ranges; work functions involve close work with books, library materials and patrons
Closing Date: November 21st or until position is filled
Please send cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three references to:
Lee Parker, Director, Norton Public Library – email@example.com
Lee Parker, Director, Norton Public Library, 68 East Main Street, Norton, MA 02766