Kennebunk Free Library
Assistant Director / Adult Services Librarian
This full-time, professional position is available for a creative, dynamic, and enthusiastic Librarian with a strong commitment to public library service. The Assistant Director/Adult Services Librarian must be knowledgeable in current library science and technology, and possess strong administrative and marketing skills. Expertise with computers and related hardware, library software, internet and digital communication is strongly preferred.
The Assistant Director/Adult Services Librarian plans, organizes, and supervises the activities of adult services and staff; develops and offers a variety of educational and cultural programs for adults to encourage library usage and foster community relations; assists library patrons in the use of library services, facilities, and equipment; and works very closely with the Library Director in the management of library affairs.
The Assistant Director/Adult Services Librarian is a key contributor to the establishment of a positive and healthy organizational culture focused on the mission of the library, working closely with the Director, staff, and Trustee committees to develop library initiatives and policy, coordinate library operations, and maximize the library’s impact on our community.
ADULT SERVICES LIBRARIAN KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
· Lead the development of and maintain an effective and productive Adult Services team
· Design, schedule, coordinate, promote and implement educational and cultural programs for adults, including selecting program topics, presenters and negotiating fees
· Maintain an active public relations program; write and submit press releases; create fliers, posters, and other publicity content
· Provide readers’ advisory and direct assistance to patrons regarding use of library materials, equipment, and services
· Provide effective reference services using a wide range of sources including print, databases, internet sources, interlibrary loan networks and other library resources in person, via email and over the phone
· Manage collection development of adult collections
· Stay informed on best practices in library services; attend professional library conferences and seminars; read professional literature; attend and lead staff meeting discussions
· Participate in near-term and long-range planning for the Adult Services department, including budget preparation for programs and materials
· Train, supervise, and evaluate Adult Services staff
· Lead special library projects as required or as necessary
· Participate in the development of operating policies and procedures
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
· Partner with Director to develop strategies to promote the library’s mission
· Maintain an excellent line of communication with the Director
· Ensure that staff provides an exceptional level of customer service
· Maintain confidentiality in all patron and staff interactions
· Lead library teams to plan and implement services, pursue new initiatives, manage collections, develop policy and process, and assess service quality
· Assume Director duties when Director is absent or unavailable
· Research and incorporate library trends and innovations
· Update the library’s website and supervise social media postings
· Monitor the library’s general email address and respond in a timely fashion
· Write, edit, and coordinate distribution of library’s monthly newsletter
· Foster collaborative work environment and healthy organizational culture
· Cultivate and maintain collaborative relationships with patrons, community groups, other libraries, state and regional library associations, and other professional organizations
· Participate in community activities that foster goodwill and promote library programs
· Promote interlibrary cooperation and coordination
· Assist Director in personnel recruitment and selection
· Assist in training and supervision of staff and volunteers
· Prepare and process personnel records such as time sheets, payroll, sick leave, vacation time, etc.
· Reconcile bank statements and prepare financial reports using QuickBooks and Excel
· Prepare statistical and narrative reports including required state reports, e-rate, grants, etc.
· Assist Director with Board support services and meeting preparation
· Perform other related duties as assigned
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND EXPERIENCE
A Master’s in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution and a minimum of five (5) years of library experience, at least three (3) years of which are in public library administration, are required.
The Assistant Director/Adult Services Librarian must possess excellent communication and organizational skills; utilize a collaborative leadership style and be an inspiration and resource to library colleagues who span the full range of professional tenure and responsibility; promote a welcoming and customer-service oriented library; possess strong interpersonal skills; and be able to work both independently and cooperatively in a team-centered environment.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Hazards are minor and controllable, but can include exposure to high precarious places, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, cramped quarters, human error and angry/hostile humans.
The Assistant Director/Adult Services Librarian must be able to:
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the library Director, the Youth Services Librarian, Teen Librarian, library staff, Trustees, and volunteers
· Positively interact with the public under varied conditions
· Exercise tact, leadership, and independent judgment
· Maintain focus under varied conditions including stressful, noisy and distracting conditions
· Exercise a full range of body motion to include standing, walking, talking, listening, stooping, kneeling, and reaching
· Lift up to 25 pounds, with some exposure of weights to 50 pounds
· Pull and push book trucks, with casters, weighing up to 200 pounds
· Adjust focus to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception
· Use telephones, computers, printers, scanners, photocopiers, and other office and telecommunication equipment
· Have or obtain a valid Maine Driver’s License
· Work weekday, evening, and weekend hours
The Assistant Director/Adult Services Librarian is hired by and reports to the library Director and provides leadership in the absence of the Director. The Assistant Director/Adult Services supervises and evaluates Adult Services staff and the Library Page.
This is a full time, salaried, exempt, professional position. Wage range, benefits and other personnel policies are in compliance with Kennebunk Free Library’s personnel policies and procedures.
Salary Range: $52,000 – $54,000
Please send cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to: Michelle K. Conners, Director
Kennebunk Free Library 112 Main Street
Kennebunk, Maine 04043
or email to firstname.lastname@example.org