Interviews may run concurrently with this posting.
Posting Date: March 28, 2018
Close Date: April 11, 2018
Number of Openings: 1 Part Time Position, 25 hours
Location: Windham Public Library
Supervisor: Library Director
Shift Requirements: Varies
Pay Grade and Range: Non-union position, Scale 8 ($18.43 – $21.60)
This is a technical and customer service position assisting the Library Director in carrying out the activities of the Windham Public Library including, but not limited to, conducting programs and overseeing the collection and library activities for the Middle School and Teen age groups; coordinating and presenting the Library’s Young Adult Material Collections and Programs; and providing community outreach. Responsibilities include dealing effectively with the public concerning department activities, and performing specific delegated tasks, all under the general guidance and direct supervision of the Library Director. Performance is evaluated based on daily observation and results.
· Prepares and directs library programs for the Middle School and Teen age groups with emphasis on meeting the various needs of this age group.
· Collaborates with agencies in the Windham Community including Outreach to Schools and the Parks and Recreation Department.
· Assists in providing well-balanced Young Adult material collections, including recommending acquisitions and discards.
· Creates age appropriate displays of materials.
· Prepares and presents book talks, reviews and discussions.
· Provides information and reader’s advisory services.
· Assists the public with choosing and borrowing audiovisual materials including e-Books and other emerging technologies.
· Provides assistance on computers.
· Produces library promotional materials including website and other online presence for Windham’s youth.
· Participates in providing a safe and welcoming environment at the library.
· Performs other work as may be required in support of the library.
· Knowledge of books, viewing and listening materials in order to assist readers. Experience with NoveList database, desired.
· Computer literacy and experience with Microsoft Office programs, databases, the Internet and specialized library and catalog software programs.
· Intermediate to advanced training in technology and other related media.
· Graduate from an accredited college or university;
· Three to five years’ of experience in a library setting; with knowledge of Sierra software and experience with the MINERVA Consortium desired; or
· Any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Moderate physical effort required; normally seated or standing with freedom of movement on a regular basis; operating office equipment, and handling books and supplies. Extensive periods may be spent standing or operating a computer and using hands and wrists in frequent repetitive motions. Interaction with others via face-to-face communication, telephone, email, and written correspondence; flexibility of motion – repetitive sitting and standing assisting staff and citizens; ability to lift 25 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and the level of work being per-formed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
The Town of Windham provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Town complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the Town has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
Deadline for résumés or applications is April 11, 2018. Apply online at www.windhammaine.us, submit via email: firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 207.892.1910, or mail: Town of Windham, Human Resources, 8 School Road, Windham, ME 04062.