Executive Director – SAILS Library Network
SAILS is a forward looking, cost effective, member-driven, non-profit organization that provides resource sharing to meet patron needs through cooperation, leadership, and technology. SAILS administers the online catalog and circulation system for 76 public, K-12, and academic libraries located in 39 communities in Southeastern Massachusetts.
Responsible for the leadership, development, and administration of the SAILS Network, including strategic planning, personnel management and administration, budget development and communication with member libraries. Keeps current of technological development in the library world and ensures network services meet the needs of member libraries. Upholds and advances the mission of the SAILS Network.
The Executive Director reports to the SAILS Executive Board, and is annually evaluated by the Personnel Committee. The Executive Director functions under the general direction of the Executive Board, but has wide latitude for independent judgment, decision-making and action.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Administer the operations and policies of the network under the guidance of the Executive Board. Provide leadership in achieving network goals. Evaluate network needs, develop plans, and propose services, activities, and changes in operation. Work directly with SAILS board in an administrative, technical, and advisory role.
- Serve as chief human resources officer, with overall responsibility for recruiting and retaining an effective, informed, committed and high performing staff.
- Prepare the annual budget and action plan for SAILS, working with appropriate advisory committees. Direct and monitor expenditures of network funds.
- Plan and oversee the needs, security and integrity of the Central Site.
- Ensure that facilities and equipment are properly maintained. Coordinate maintenance and repair functions.
- Monitor emerging technology and state, regional, and national trends regarding the information infrastructure and create strategies to implement new technologies into SAILS services.
- Provide direction and technical assistance to advisory committees in the development and implementation of network policies.
- Responsible for developing and producing appropriate means of keeping member libraries informed about upcoming events and network services.
- Develop a continuing education program, conducting specific workshops as appropriate.
- Develop and compile evaluation tools in order to determine user satisfaction of network services.
- Interact with network vendors exploring new services and negotiating contracts. Monitor compliance with and implementation of vendor contracts.
- Perform grant manager role, keeping network members informed of available grants, submitting proposals, and writing reports on programs receiving grant funding.
- Represent the SAILS Network at various state, regional, national, professional, and other groups as requested by the Board. Must be able to travel to member libraries and off-site meetings.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal obligations related to maintaining the status of SAILS as a 501 (c) (3)
- Perform other duties as assigned by the SAILS Board.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience demonstrated responsibility for fiscal and personnel management, strategic planning and library administration.
- Prior experience administering a 501 (c) (3) corporation highly desirable.
- MLS from an ALA accredited program.
- Minimum 2 years in a leadership position with an automated library network.
- Proven knowledge of library automation, telecommunications, and emerging technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain awareness of current trends and new developments and evaluate their impact on the organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to deal effectively with diverse audiences and stakeholders with various levels of experience.
- Proven written and oral communications and group facilitation skills.
- Proven grant writing skills desirable.
- Flexibility in a continually changing environment.
- Valid Driver’s License and vehicle with current insurance coverage. Mileage will be reimbursed at current IRS rate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, use computers, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to talk and hear and frequently required to sit.
Must be able to lift 30 lbs., bend, reach, read visually and respond to audio signals, communicate effectively on telephone, in writing, and in person with network members, staff, vendors and others.
General office environment with air conditioning and fluorescent lighting. The noise level in the work environment varies. Moderate to high levels of stress may occur.
Salary Range: $90,000-$120,000
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for a minimum of three references to: [email protected]. Please state ‘Executive Director Application’ in your subject line. Application deadline: June 1, 2018.