The Lynnfield Public Library is seeking a dynamic and innovative Library Director who will lead the library in its rapidly changing role as Lynnfield’s central community and cultural center. The successful candidate will spearhead the delivery of traditional and emerging library services that meet the needs of all Lynnfield’s population segments.
The Library Director will manage daily operations, patron services, building management and programs. The Director will plan, organize, and oversee all aspects of municipal services in conformity with the policies established by the Board of Trustees, the by-laws of the NOBLE (North of Boston Library Exchange) consortium, the regulations of the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners, the by-laws of the Town of Lynnfield and the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This position reports directly to the Board of Trustees and will fulfill the following job requirements:
New Library Construction Project
● Execute the vision outlined in the approved state construction grant application and the services and programs it will provide to the community
● Expand community awareness and support for the building project and work with MBLC for support of Provisional Grant
● Direct the construction process to the town funding stage and advocate for the library in the community
● Provide leadership and guidance to the Library Building Committee
Community Outreach & Public Engagement
● Lead the Library in fostering community and support local culture in engaging ways that respond to the needs of all patrons
● Conduct presentations to various public and private organizations in the community
● Initiate and develop programming tailored to local interests and trends
● Market Library programs, collections, and services through social media and print outlets
● Manage Library functions such as collection development, acquisitions, cataloging, and reference services
● Supervise recruitment, hiring, management, professional development, discipline, and, if necessary, dismissal of personnel
● Oversee maintenance of library building and grounds, making recommendations to the Board of Trustees and Department of Public Works for updates and repairs as needed
● Research and manage integral building technology including: computer network services, Internet connectivity, interoperability of external networks and mobile technology
● Prepare, write, and manage grants and grant proposals
● Develop, manage, report and defend the annual operating and capital budgets in conjunction with the Board of Trustees and appropriate Town personnel
● Work closely with the Friends of the Lynnfield Library to identify priorities for the supplemental library funds that organization provides
● Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS or MLIS) from an ALA-accredited institution
● A minimum of five (5) or more years of progressively responsible library experience with substantial supervisory oversight
● Thorough knowledge of Library administration, strategic planning, finance, technology, personnel administration, facility management, public relations and fundraising
● Excellent communication and public speaking skills with the ability to collaborate with all segments of the community
● Effective interpersonal skills and experience working with a unionized workforce
● Demonstrated leadership skills and a strong desire to lead a local Library to its next stage of development and transformation
● A customer oriented approach in serving patrons of all ages
● Successful results in building expansion/renovation and new construction, major projects, fundraising programs, grant writing, and community projects are highly desirable
● Knowledge and experience with strategic long-range planning and all of its processes
$80,000-$90,000 with municipal benefits
The Town of Lynnfield is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer.
All interested candidates should send their cover letter and resume to [email protected] for consideration.