JOB DESCRIPTION: Public Services Librarian–Reference and Instruction; Assistant Librarian rank; Full time; Tenure track
RESPONSIBILITIES: Provide reference and information services to Eastern’s Smith Library users. Responsible for reference desk coordination and scheduling of Library Faculty and Lecturers. Assist Information Literacy Librarian with planning and delivery of the library’s instruction program. Support Access Services functions as circumstances dictate. Report to the Head of Public and Research Services.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND ABILITIES:
• Provide reference and information services to library users.
• Coordinate and schedule reference desk coverage.
• Assist the Information Literacy Librarian in developing instructional materials for classroom or online delivery.
• Actively participate in the delivery of the library’s instruction program.
• Create and manage multiple library research guides for faculty and students.
• Support Access Services functions as circumstances dictate.
• Participate in the library’s Liaison/Builder program for collection development.
• Work collegially with all library staff, faculty, students, and other Library users.
• Work well with a culturally diverse population.
• Keep abreast of current trends in reference and information literacy services.
• Participate in professional, library, and university activities as appropriate.
• Perform other duties as assigned based on fluctuating library needs.
Some night and/or weekend work may be required.
QUALIFICATIONS: Required: ALA accredited Master’s degree or its international equivalent. A strong service orientation. Relevant experience in providing reference services and library instruction in a print and online environment. Experience using an online integrated library system, preferably ExLibris Alma/Primo. Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills. Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with all segments of the University community. Desired: Academic library experience. Substantial information literacy experience, and demonstrated ability to deliver information literacy to students in an effective and engaging manner. Strong technical skills including knowledge of presentation/authoring software. An additional advanced degree in a subject area.
TO APPLY: send letter of application, resume, and three recent signed letters of reference to: Janice Wilson, Director of Library Services, J. Eugene Smith Library, Eastern Connecticut State University, 83 Windham Street, Willimantic, CT 06226. Electronic
applications are encouraged and can be emailed to Wilsonj@easternct.edu. Screening begins immediately and will continue until position is filled.