Tilton Library, Deerfield’s public library, is seeking a dynamic and innovative library director who will lead the library in its rapidly changing role as Deerfield’s central community and cultural center. The successful candidate will spearhead the delivery of traditional and emerging library services that meet the needs of all of Deerfield’s citizens.
The library director will manage daily operations, patron services, building maintenance and programs. The Director will plan, organize, and oversee all aspects of municipal services in conformity with the policies established by the Tilton Library’s Board of Trustees, the by-laws of the CWMARS consortium, the regulations of the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners (MBLC), the by-laws of the Town of Deerfield and the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
This position reports directly to the Tilton Library Board of Trustees and fulfills the following job requirements:
New Library Construction Project
- Execute the vision outlined in the approved state construction grant application and the services and programs the expanded library will provide to the community
- Expand community awareness and support for the building project, advocate for the library in the community, and work with the MBLC representatives through all stages of the project.
- Direct the construction process through the town funding stage and advocate for the library in the community
- Provide leadership and guidance (and support) to the Library Building Committee
Community Outreach & Public Engagement
- Lead the library in fostering community, and support local culture in ways that engage and respond to the needs of all patrons
- Present library services to various public and private organizations in the community
- Initiate and develop programming tailored to local interests and trends
- Market library programs, collections, and services through social media and print outlets.
- Manage library functions such as collection development, acquisitions, cataloging, and reference services
- Recruit, hire, and supervise, library personnel.
- Oversee maintenance of library building and grounds, and recommend necessary updates and repairs to the Board of Trustees and Town of Deerfield.
- Manage library technology including: computer network services, internet connectivity, and mobile technology
- Research opportunities for grants,write grant proposals, and manage grants made to the library.
- Develop, manage, report and defend the annual operating and capital budgets in conjunction with the Board of Trustees and appropriate Town of Deerfield personnel
- Work closely with the Friends of Tilton Library to identify priorities for the supplemental library funds that the organization provides
- Masters in Library Science (MLS or MLIS) from an ALA-accredited institution, preferred.
- Three to five (or more) years of progressively responsible library experience with substantial supervisory oversight
- Thorough knowledge of and experience in library administration, strategic planning, finance, technology, personnel administration, facility management, public relations and fundraising
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills with the ability to collaborate with all segments of the community
- Demonstrated leadership skills and a strong desire to lead a local library in its next stage of development
- A customer oriented approach in serving patrons of all ages
- Demonstrated results in managing building expansion or renovation or new construction, major projects, fundraising programs, grant writing, and community projects highly desirable
- Knowledge and experience with strategic long-range planning processes
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Starting salary is $46,547. (37.5 hours), with municipal benefits.
The Town of Deerfield is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and three professional references to [email protected] . Review of applications will begin October 3, 2018.