The Scranton Library Board of Trustees seeks a full-time Library Director to oversee and supervise all operations of the E.C. Scranton Memorial Library located in beautiful Madison, Connecticut. This is an exciting opportunity to provide direction and leadership as the library undergoes a major expansion and renovation project with an anticipated completion date of fall 2020. The library, located in an historic building designed by Henry Bacon in the heart of downtown, boasts a circulation over 130,000 volumes and over 100,000 library visits per year.
The Scranton Library offers a competitive salary and benefits.
In keeping with the mission of the E.C. Scranton Memorial Library, the Library Director is responsible for developing and supporting all efforts necessary to maintain a free library, responsive to the community’s needs for information, education, and recreation. Working closely with the Board of Trustees, the Library Director develops library policies, monitors library services, develops and manages the budget, collaborates on fundraising efforts, creates public relations materials, supervises staff and volunteers, oversees the physical plant, and stays informed of developments in library management. In addition, the Library Director serves as a member ex officio of the Board of Trustees and attends monthly meetings of the Scranton Library Friends. As the chief representative of the library, the Library Director communicates with and provides information to Madison officials, staff and boards on a regular basis.
Essential job duties include:
- Ensure all library services are of the highest quality and adequately meet the needs of the Madison Community.
- Assist the Board with both long and short range plans to support and promote the mission of the library and address issues as they arise.
- Compile library statistics and create reports for monthly meetings of the Board of Trustees, the Library’s annual report and the Connecticut State Library.
- Manage and oversee the evaluation, planning and execution of library programs for children, teens and adults; the selection and maintenance of library materials including books, media, and electronic resources that meet the needs of the community; the purchasing, utilization, and maintenance of technology to deliver, monitor and enhance library services.
- Prepare the annual budget for Board review and approval in a timely manner.
- Coordinate, communicate and cooperate with the Board of Finance and Board of Selectmen in preparing the annual budget.
- Collaborate with the Development Committee to lead fundraising efforts such as writing and administering the Annual Appeal and other planned giving programs.
- Act as a conduit between the Board, Scranton Library Friends, and staff to ensure smooth implementation of fund-raising activities.
- Manage internal and external communication of the Library including but not limited to brochures, newsletters, fliers, and newspaper articles.
- Develop and maintain cooperative relationships with the Madison Town Government, Madison Public Schools, the Madison Art Society, and other community organizations.
- Oversee the hiring, evaluation and when necessary, termination of all staff.
- Administer employee benefits programs.
- Provide direction for the maintenance of an attractive, safe, comfortable, and convenient building to serve the public.
- Provide leadership and direction for major development projects including upcoming construction and renovation of facilities.
- Participate in state and regional library organizations, as appropriate, to advocate for relevant library issues.
Candidates must have an MLS degree from an accredited school, in addition to five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in library administration and staff supervision, including three (3) years in the supervision of a public library major department or as a director of a public library. A combination of education and experience which demonstrates the ability to successfully meet the requirements of the position may be considered.
Candidates must possess vision, creativity, motivational and technological skills. Must express a willingness to become involved in the community and understand its needs as well as recognize future library trends and move the E.C. Scranton Memorial Library in those directions. Candidates must have the energy and commitment to meet the challenge of The Board’s effort to renovate and transform the library.
The successful candidate will possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and the ability to prepare and publicly present reports in a clear and concise manner. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to think critically; to draw conclusions or approaches to problems and implement solutions. Must have the ability to foster relationships and deal effectively with officials, business owners, outside agencies, employees, and the general public.
Town of Madison
Madison, located on the Connecticut shoreline, is a residential community with Connecticut’s longest sandy beaches. With an unspoiled natural environment and well-run, efficient town government, Madison boasts one of Connecticut’s best performing public school system. Madison is located in southern New England on the I-95 corridor halfway between New York City and Boston. The town’s 18,000 residents enjoy the downtown business district of charming locally run retail establishments. Recreational activities are abundant with the town’s beaches, parks, a town farm and miles of town owned hiking trails. Learn more about Madison at www.madisonedc.com and www.madisonct.com.
Please submit cover letter, salary requirements, past three years salary and resume to [email protected] or Director Application, E.C. Scranton Memorial Library, 801 Boston Post Road, Madison, CT 06443.
No telephone inquiries.
Applications submitted by October 18, 2018 will be considered.
E.C. Scranton Memorial Library is an EOE Employer.