The Norton Public Library has an immediate opening for a community-focused, innovative, adaptable and enthusiastic professional for our small but fast-paced library. This is an amazing opportunity to manage a fun, lively Youth Services department in a vibrant community.
The Youth Services Librarian is responsible for providing excellent library service to children of all ages and their caregivers.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for developing, implementing and publicizing the library’s programs and services to children from birth to young adult and their caregivers.
- Selects material for the children’s and teen collections using appropriate review sources. Classifies and maintains material for the collection.
- Responsible for maintaining an attractive, inviting physical and virtual environment.
- Provides reference and readers’ advisory services to youth, caregivers, and teachers.
- Provides assistance with the library’s online catalog and digital services.
- Assists in maintaining an active online presence through our website and social media accounts.
- Builds and maintains relationships with schools, homeschoolers and other community partners.
- Assists at public service desks performing circulation duties and basic troubleshooting for public library computers.
- Serves as library supervisor when scheduled; responsible for supervising staff and volunteers, including Jr. Friends of the Library, Summer Reading volunteers, and Wheaton College work-study students.
Position is 35 hours per week and includes evening hours and a Saturday rotation.
This position includes a full benefits package: health insurances, life insurance, retirement plan, vacation, sick and holiday leave.
- MLS from an ALA accredited program or equivalent combination of skills and experience required
- Experience in a public library strongly preferred
- Strong public service orientation and skills
- Ability to prioritize and focus in a busy environment
- Knowledge of children’s and young adult literature
- Knowledge of library skills and operation
- Ability to function as a member of a team to achieve library goals and objectives
- Demonstrated ability with technology, including library automation, social media, digital resources
- Comfortable with Excel, Word, Google Office Suite, and publishing programs at efficient speed
- Comfortable with, or able to learn, website management
- Creativity and ability to plan, develop, execute and supervise programming
- Ability to work effectively with the public, volunteers and other staff; strong interpersonal and communication skills required
- Excellent oral and written communication and customer service skills
- Knowledge of and adherence to professional standards
- Physically able to bend, stretch and lift materials from floor to overhead shelves
- May be required to move and arrange office furniture in the library, such as chairs and tables
- Vision and hearing at, or correctable to, normal ranges; work functions involve close work with books, library materials and patrons
Beginning Salary: $41,000-$44,000
Closing Date: Applications submitted by September 21st will receive priority; position open until filled
Please send cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three references to:
Lee Parker, Director, Norton Public Library – [email protected]
Lee Parker, Director, Norton Public Library, 68 East Main Street, Norton, MA 02766