Castleton University seeks an exceptional candidate for the tenure-track faculty position, Director of Library Services.
The Library Director is a twelve-month, tenure-track faculty position, and includes service on the Library Council for the Vermont State Colleges system. The Director provides leadership for all Castleton library operations including staffing, resource allocation, instruction, and evaluation and development of library staff, resources and services.
Castleton is seeking a creative, energetic, and skilled leader with a capacity to appreciate the special nature of our relationship-based institution in the heart of Vermont and its role in the community, as well as an ability to guide the library in expanding its service to a growing comprehensive-master’s university.
- Manage library operations, facility, budget, and personnel
- Strategic planning: develop long- and short-term goals and policy for the library
- Provide leadership and vision for the library, and work with library staff to realize plans for new initiatives
- Serve as a representative of the library to leadership bodies on campus, to the broader campus community and within the Vermont State College system
- Compose reports and statistics regarding library services and resources for departmental reviews, accrediting bodies, and other reporting agencies
- Mentor and coordinate staff development
- ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree
- Minimum of five years’ administrative experience in an academic library
- Experience supervising a variety of library functions
- Significant management, leadership, and budgetary experience
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills, and commitment to service and teamwork
Preferred Relevant Experience
- Developing assessment procedures to evaluate library services, resources, and space, and strategic planning
- Supporting distance learning initiatives
- Supporting both undergraduate and graduate programs
- Grant-writing experience
- Alumni and donor outreach
Castleton is a growing and vibrant liberal arts university located in the beautiful lakes region of western Vermont, in the heart of the Green Mountains. It is the largest residential institution of the Vermont State Colleges, with three other libraries in the system. Mainly an undergraduate liberal arts institution, Castleton also offers graduate programs and intends to continue expanding this initiative. Two-thirds of our students are Vermonters and around 1,100 live on campus.
Coolidge Library is a busy, well-used facility with an active instruction program and busy interlibrary loan department, serving the students and faculty in our academic programs as well as the greater community. The library shares a system-wide catalog and some electronic resources, but maintains its own collection.Questions about the university or the position should be directed to chair of the search, Assistant Professor Chris Boettcher ([email protected]). Salary and rank are dependent on qualifications and experience, and salary is determined through a point system that is part of the Vermont State Colleges’ collective bargaining agreement.
To apply go to www.castleton.edu/faculty-jobs. All required documents must be submitted via this online process. We regret we are unable to accept applications or documents submitted via mail, email or fax. Please submit a cover letter, current vitae, and unofficial transcripts of your highest degree. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.