Full Time (40 hours per week) Reports to: Executive Director.
Assist the Executive Director to establish goals, objectives, future plans and strategies for the CLAMS network to accommodate member libraries’ current and projected automation requirements. Responsible for managing and monitoring CLAMS technical operations both at the central CLAMS office and CLAMS-owned equipment at member libraries. Acts as an advanced technical resource in the administration of the network’s Integrated Library System (ILS). Provides support to member libraries for software and peripherals as they relate to core CLAMS Services.
May serve in place of the Executive Director in the absence of the Director.
Cape Libraries Automated Materials Sharing (CLAMS) is a library consortium with a central site office staff. CLAMS serves 35 member libraries with 38 locations on Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. The consortium comprises one academic library and 34 public library members.
- Manages CLAMS central systems operations, including all software, hardware, telecommunications, telephone system and related
- Maintains overall systems availability, integrity and security, including user authorization and authentication
- Maintains central communications systems for incoming, outgoing, and intra– network connectivity
- Serves as CLAMS principal technical liaison to other library and information networks and to other providers and vendors of communication and information services
- Documents scheduled and non-scheduled systems events
- Communicates systems-related information and user requirements to network members and to other service providers as appropriate;
- May provide training to member library staff and central library consortium staff, working cooperatively with the Member Services
- Documents and maintains information on systems and network configuration
- Monitors system performance; advises on needs for hardware and software upgrades &/or other systems requirements in a hosted environment
- Advises and assists in planning for network growth; assists in initiating service to new remote sites
- Generates standard and customized reports as requested by Executive Director and network members; assists in developing and producing new reports
Interaction with Vendors and Others
- Interfaces with vendor representatives to maintain effective functioning of applications software, operating software and hardware, telecommunications and networking hardware and software, related software and equipment
- Recommends products and services for purchase; assists in evaluating systems and communications hardware, software, and support services
- Monitors systems-related warranties, licenses, expiration dates; may update or recommend same for update
- Facilitates access through CLAMS systems to services provided by state, regional, and other library and information systems
Interaction with Staff and Users
- Supervises, schedules, trains, and reviews performance of systems staff
- Assists and works with other CLAMS staff and members in planning, developing, documenting and implementing policies and procedures
- May represent CLAMS on user groups and at regional, state, or national conferences and committees, especially in relation to computerized networks or library automated systems
- May attend seminars, workshops, training programs, demonstrations, exhibits, etc., as appropriate to the position of Systems Manager
- Performs other duties as assigned by Executive Director
- Bachelor’s degree in a related
- 3 years systems experience, preferably in a library or information hosted network
- Knowledge of appropriate operating systems and hardware, library applications software, telecommunications hardware/software/services including IP telephony, TCP/IP, Web-based services and support (especially Google Apps, HTML, CSS, and Content Management Systems), and RESTful
- Experience working with databases and
- Working knowledge of programming/scripting languages such as Python, Perl, and
- Project management
- Initiative, creative problem-solving
- Excellent oral, telephone, written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with vendors, all levels of library
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently, meet deadlines, delegate assignments, work under
- Ability to troubleshoot computer hardware and software
- Supervisory experience and skills.
Other Distinguishing Characteristics
- Valid driver’s Travel is occasionally required. Use of reliable insured vehicle when needed.
- Light to moderate physical effort required in performing duties under typical
office/data processing conditions
- Must be able to lift 30, bend, reach, read visually and respond to audio signals; communicate effectively on telephone, in writing, and in person with network members, staff, vendors & others.
- Operates electronic data processing and office
Failure to carry out job responsibilities could result in compromised customer relations.
Salary Range: $60,775 to $84,127 in 12 steps.
Small office environment consisting of a staff of 7 with shared responsibility in the overall maintenance of the office.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is performed in a normal office environment that is usually not subject to extremes of noise, temperature, odor, etc. Operates computers, printer, photocopier, fax machine, and other office and computer related equipment. Work requires extended periods of sitting at a computer, reaching, typing, mousing, and other small muscle tasks. . Occasional bending, crouching, and lifting/transporting of computer equipment is required. Applicant must be able to lift 30 lbs. and be able to read visually and respond to audio signals; communicate effectively on telephone, in writing (includes email), and in person with network members, staff, vendors, & others. Light to moderate physical effort required in performing duties under typical office/data processing conditions
Moderate levels of stress may occur.
How to apply:
Submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references, as a PDF attachment by email to [email protected] Use the subject line: Systems Manager. No phone calls please. Position is open until filled. Preference will be given to applications received by December 14, 2018.