This is a professional position with administrative and supervisory responsibilities reporting to the MLS Executive Board. The Executive Director will:
- Provide organizational leadership, management, planning, program evaluation, and strategic direction to fulfill the MLS Mission and provide high-quality services to member
- Support, develop, and maintain a strong and cohesive MLS Executive Serve as an ex officio member of the MLS Executive Board and all committees.
- Lead, coach, and sustain a leadership team to strive for organizational
- Employ partnerships, efficiency solutions, and other opportunities, g., grant funding and revenue generation, to enhance capacity.
- Ensure compliance with all requirements as a recipient of state funding as well as all local, state, and federal legal
- Work with the MLS Executive Board, MLS leadership team and staff, committees, members, auditor, legal counsel, Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners, automated networks, vendors/contractors, professional associations, elected officials, and
- Collaborate with MLS members to develop and strengthen relationships within the MLS Engage in strategic advocacy for libraries.
- Develop budgets and maintain strong financial
- Maintain working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the
- Education: Master’s degree in library and/or information science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association or equivalent master’s
- Experience: Minimumoffive to eight years of relevant leadership experience in libraries, library services, or library systems, with four to five years of supervisory
- Essential attributes and skills include: demonstrated leadership skills; informed understanding of services and programming needs for all types of libraries; ability to respond to the needs of diverse library environments; excellent listening and communication skills; substantial fiscal and resource management experience; fundraising and grant writing; ability to lead and develop a diverse workforce; demonstrated dedication to innovation; short and long range planning skills; thorough knowledge of current trends and best practices for library
- High level of competence in legislative processes, consensus building, and
- The ability to develop and communicate a strategic vision for MLS, as well as the ability to design and implement solutions to day-to-day A strong focus on members and their needs.
The position requires light to moderate physical effort demanded when performing functions under typical office and computer use conditions. Light to moderate physical effort and stamina required for frequent travel and transport of work related
materials and equipment to meeting and training sites. The successful candidate must be able to lift up to 50 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation.
Will work from either MLS office (Marlborough or Northampton) as well as commute throughout the state with the option of telecommuting from home when connectivity and equipment standards are met.
Must possess a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s License valid for use in Massachusetts and provide the means of transportation to fulfill job duties throughout Massachusetts and attend relevant meetings.
Candidates must be eligible for permanent employment in the United States, and appointments are subject to a criminal background check.
Salary begins at $118,500, based on experience.
This position is exempt from the wage and overtime provisions of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
MLS full-time staff members are eligible for a benefits package that includes generous vacation and sick leave accrual; health insurance; dental insurance; disability and life insurance; and employer contributions to a defined contribution plan and an optional voluntary contribution plan through TIAA. (MLS is a private, non-profit organization and does not participate in any public retirement plan.)
The Massachusetts Library System, Inc. is a state-funded 501(c)(3) corporation governed by its member libraries with offices in Marlborough and Northampton, Massachusetts.
Send letter of application, resume, salary expectations, and the names and contact information of three professional references. We will notify candidates prior to contacting references. Send applications to [email protected] Please state “Executive Director Application” in your subject line. All applications will be acknowledged by return email.
MLS is an equal opportunity employer
MLS is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, age, marital status, sex, physical or mental challenge, creed, religion, political affiliation, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation. Members of underrepresented groups, and those committed to working in a diverse cultural environment are encouraged to apply.