Systems Manager (Hyannis, Mass.) Search extended
CLAMS (Cape Libraries Automated Materials Sharing)
Assist the Executive Director to establish goals, objectives, future plans and strategies for the CLAMS network to accommodate member libraries’ current and projected automation requirements. Responsible for managing and monitoring CLAMS technical operations both at the central CLAMS office and CLAMS-owned equipment at member libraries. Acts as an advanced technical resource in the administration of the network’s Integrated Library System (ILS). Provides support to member libraries for software and peripherals as they relate to core CLAMS Services. May serve in place of the Executive Director in the absence of the Director.
Cape Libraries Automated Materials Sharing (CLAMS) is a library consortium with a central site office staff. CLAMS serves 35 member libraries with 38 locations on Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. The consortium comprises one academic library and 34 public library members.
- Manages CLAMS central systems operations, including all software, hardware, telecommunications, telephone system and related components.
- Maintains overall systems availability, integrity and security, including user authorization and authentication
- Maintains central communications systems for incoming, outgoing, and intra-network connectivity
- Serves as CLAMS principal technical liaison to other library and information networks and to other providers and vendors of communication and information services
- Documents scheduled and non-scheduled systems events
- Communicates systems-related information and user requirements to network members and to other service providers as appropriate;
- May provide training to member library staff and central library consortium staff, working cooperatively with the Member Services Manager.
- Documents and maintains information on systems and network configuration
- Monitors system performance; advises on needs for hardware and software upgrades &/or other systems requirements in a hosted environment
- Advises and assists in planning for network growth; assists in initiating service to new remote sites
- Generates standard and customized reports as requested by Executive Director and network members; assists in developing and producing new reports
Interaction with Vendors and Others
- Interfaces with vendor representatives to maintain effective functioning of applications software, operating software and hardware, telecommunications and networking hardware and software, related software and equipment
- Recommends products and services for purchase; assists in evaluating systems and communications hardware, software, and support services
- Monitors systems-related warranties, licenses, expiration dates; may update or recommend same for update
- Facilitates access through CLAMS systems to services provided by state, regional, and other library and information systems
Interaction with Staff and Users
- Supervises, schedules, trains, and reviews performance of systems staff
- Assists and works with other CLAMS staff and members in planning, developing, documenting and implementing policies and procedures
- May represent CLAMS on user groups and at regional, state, or national conferences and committees, especially in relation to computerized networks or library automated systems
- May attend seminars, workshops, training programs, demonstrations, exhibits, etc., as appropriate to the position of Systems Manager
- Performs other duties as assigned by Executive Director
Small office environment consisting of a staff of 7 with shared responsibility in the overall maintenance of the office.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- 3 years systems experience, preferably in a library or information hosted network environment.
- Knowledge of appropriate operating systems and hardware, library applications software, telecommunications hardware/software/services including IP telephony, TCP/IP, Web-based services and support (especially Google Apps, HTML, CSS, and Content Management Systems), and RESTful APIs.
- Experience working with databases and SQL.
- Working knowledge of programming/scripting languages such as Python, Perl, and PHP.
- Project management experience.
- Initiative, creative problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent oral, telephone, written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with vendors, all levels of library staff.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently, meet deadlines, delegate assignments, work under pressure.
- Ability to troubleshoot computer hardware and software problems.
- Supervisory experience and skills.
Other Distinguishing Characteristics
· Valid driver’s license. Travel is occasionally required. Use of reliable insured vehicle when needed.
- Light to moderate physical effort required in performing duties under typical office/data processing conditions
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs., bend, reach, read visually and respond to audio signals; communicate effectively on telephone, in writing, and in person with network members, staff, vendors & others.
- Operates electronic data processing and office equipment.
Starting Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
Open until filled.
How to Apply
How to apply:
Submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references, as a PDF attachment by email to[email protected]. Use the subject line: Systems Manager. No phone calls please.
Full job description is available upon request.
CLAMS Search Committee