JOB CLASS CODE: 3112 PAY GRADE: 18 SALARY: $14.90 – $19.91 hourly
OPEN: December 20, 2018
CLOSES: January 18, 2019
This is a unique opportunity for an individual to perform professional services work for three Maine cultural institutions in a shared capacity. The Maine State Library, Museum, and Archives seek a dynamic individual who has the interest and the experience to work with a variety of collections at each agency and to make them accessible through cataloging, digitizing, metadata tagging, and inventorying. Work is performed under limited supervision.
REPRESENTATIVE TASKS: (A position may not be assigned all the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all the duties that may be assigned).
- Catalogs, classifies, and indexes books, documents, periodicals, artifacts and other printed or digital matter in order to properly place them in the various collections of respective agencies.
- Assists with digitizing collection items and uploading them into a digital repository.
- Assigning metadata to digital items so they may be used as part of a digital archive.
- Creating inventories of materials and prioritizing such materials for cataloging and digitizing.
- Researches provenance, genealogical and or historical significance of items.
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED: (These are required to successfully perform the work assigned).
- Knowledge of professional library, museum, and archival techniques, systems, procedures, and tools.
- Knowledge of artifact handling.
- Knowledge of software systems related to digital imaging, management, access, and preservation.
- Knowledge of methods, techniques, and materials used in the care and preservation of permanent records in hard copy and electronic copy
- Knowledge of metadata standards relevant to the archival control of digital collection materials.
- Knowledge of collection development and maintenance principles and practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to use and explain the use of catalogs, guides, indexes, bibliographies, and other such materials.
- Ability to perform original cataloging and classification of represented materials.
- Ability to use a variety of modern office and audio-visual equipment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: (Entry level knowledges, skills, and/or abilities may be acquired through, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO the following coursework/training and/or experience).
A Bachelors’ Degree in Library Science and two (2) years’ experience in professional library work -OR- an acceptable equivalent combination of related experience and/or training.
The value of State’s share of Employee’s Retirement: 15.37% of salary for BU positions. The value of State-paid Dental Insurance: $13.13 biweekly. The value* of State-paid Health Insurance:
Level 1: 100% State Contribution (employee pays nothing): $444.68 biweekly
Level 2: 95% State Contribution (employee pays 5%): $422.45 biweekly
Level 3: 90% State Contribution (employee pays 10%): $400.21 biweekly
Level 4: 85% State Contribution (employee pays 15%): $377.98 biweekly
*The level of the actual value of state paid Health Insurance will be based on the employee’s wage rate and status with regard to the health credit premium program.