Officially chartered in 1963, the New England Library Association is a regional organization whose membership represents a wide range of library‑related interests.
Its objectives are to initiate, plan and support regional activities; to encourage the exchange of ideas; and to cooperate with regional and national agencies having related interests.
The mission of the New England Library Association is to provide educational and leadership opportunities for library staff in support of improved library services for the people of New England. To that end, the association (1) engages regionally in important discussions in the library profession, (2) encourages the exchange of ideas through a variety of formal and informal events and (3) collaborates regionally and nationally with allied organizations. NELA is a chapter of the American Library Association.
- Mentoring newer members of the library profession, and promoting leadership development for the good of library service in New England and beyond
- Inclusion & networking opportunities for all types of libraries and library workers
- Educating/Helping to educate library staff for professional excellence
- Recognizing and celebrating personal and professional achievement in libraries
- Fostering communications among library organizations in our region (i.e. New England)
- Connecting people in ways that make their personal and work lives more meaningful, and helping them to learn from one another
- Engagement of members across the organization
NELA will connect and engage librarians throughout the New England region, by providing opportunities to grow and learn with others in the library profession and beyond. There will be a spirit of collaboration and community as we share and network with one another building on the strengths of all the states in the New England area.
- Education and Leadership to Advance Libraries
- Member Engagement
- Marketing and Communications
- Focused Strategy on Building on Strengths of Organization
- Connections and Networking
- Engage students in library schools
- Sections & Communications Infrastructure
- Values – what do we need to focus on and how will it look (discounted memberships, educational opportunities, shadowing, networking)
- Membership (stronger connections and networking opportunities, meet across sections from state organizations)
- Communication and Promotion of NELA