CRANSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Under general supervision of the Coordinator of Youth Services is responsible for teen services in the Central Library, with opportunities to contribute to teen services system-wide. This is a 35 hour per week union position with some nights and weekends required
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association.
- One year of experience in public library youth services.
- Ability to travel to required locations in a timely manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides exemplary customer service.
- Builds, manages and promotes an extraordinary collection of teen materials at the Central Library and advises and supports the selection of teen materials at the branches.
- Develops a plan of service for teens in the community based on community needs and library goals, and advocates for teen use of the library.
- Maintains the teen area of the Central Library and advises on creating and maintaining unique spaces for teens throughout the library system.
- Plans, creates, conducts and evaluates innovative teen programs throughout the library system.
- Develops strong partnerships between the library and other appropriate school and community agencies.
- Encourages and supports teen volunteering at the library.
- Seeks out professional development opportunities related to teen services at the state and national level and shares information with all youth services staff.
- Provides assistance directly to library users on the use of library services.
- Substitutes for professional staff in the library system as needed.
- Operates, troubleshoots and provides instruction on all library-owned technology.
- Contributes to the library’s social media presence and other marketing and outreach initiatives.
- Manages part-time staff and volunteers as necessary to keep youth services running smoothly.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Commitment to outstanding public service for youth.
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and tools of library science in general and public library service to youth, in particular.
- Ability to function as a member of a team to achieve library goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates a knowledge of and passion for YA media.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Ability to take initiative in improving existing work techniques and procedures.
- Ability to push carts and bins loaded with library materials.
- Ability to reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights.
- Experience with integrated library systems.
- Knowledge of current technological applications for information access. Ability to utilize web-based and subscription databases.
- Basic skills with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Basic skills with Google Office Suite.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies including social media, mobile devices, game systems, and maker technologies.
This job description is intended to be a general guide to the duties and responsibilities of the job and is not intended to list every possible task that the staff member may be called upon to perform.