Website Edsel Ford Memorial Library
Interim Director of the Edsel Ford Memorial Library
Department: Edsel Ford Memorial Library
Reports to: Dean of Academic Life
Schedule: 11- month schedule
Designation: Administrative Faculty
The Hotchkiss School seeks to inspire a diverse range of students who are committed to the betterment of self and society, and to cultivate in them, at the highest standards of excellence, imagination and intellect, openness and personal integrity, and empathy and responsible citizenship, so that they may discover and fulfill their potential as individuals fully engaged in our world.
The Edsel Ford Memorial Library is a welcoming place that serves the community of the Hotchkiss School. The Library enriches teaching and learning by making a wide array of resources accessible through curricular collaboration, search tools, and a caring team of librarians.
The Interim Director of the Edsel Ford Memorial Library is a student-centered educator and experienced librarian with a proven leadership record. The Interim Director guides a professional team of library staff members who support learning through discovery at The Hotchkiss School.
Duties and responsibilities:
Support the Library team by:
● Promoting professional collaboration among a team of eight professionals, including the Access Services
Librarian, Acquisitions Services Librarian, Archivist & Records Manager, Assistant Director, Curator of
Special Collections, Discovery Services Librarian, Faculty Services Librarian, and the Emerging Technology
● Providing feedback and guidance to support individual growth of each team member.
Working with the Library team to advance the Library’s strategic plan in the four following areas:
● Connecting People to Services by evaluating patron needs, developing user-friendly promotional materials,
ensuring reliable access to all services, and conveying consistent service standards for librarians.
● Connecting People to People by engaging the Hotchkiss community through outreach programming, enhancing
lists and tagging functions to enable patrons to share with one another, and developing collections to
reflect the diversity of the Hotchkiss community and the broader world.
● Connecting People to Ideas by teaching students to find and evaluate information, ensuring that the Library
is responsive to the School’s evolving curriculum, and promoting student research.
● Connecting People to Space by providing a dynamic and welcoming environment for all community members,
including by promoting visibility and availability of librarians, and developing instructional and
promotional materials that encourage the fullest and best use of our spaces and equipment.
Engaging as an active community member who:
● Represents the Library in faculty meetings and other venues.
● Engages in community initiatives that promote the mission of the School, that can range from curricular
changes to Martin Luther King, Jr. Day events.
● Actively participates in the everyday life of the school.
● MLS from ALA-accredited institution or equivalent degree or experience.
● At least three years of experience supervising professional staff in a collaborative environment; more than
three years experience preferred.
● Experience managing budgets to align expenditures with institutional priorities; experience stewarding
endowed funds preferred.
● Demonstrated knowledge of current best practices for teaching information literacy and collaborating with
faculty to develop and lead inquiry-based research projects.
● Advanced search and research skills using proprietary databases.
● Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
● Excellent technology skills and experience with emerging technologies.
The Interim Director of the Edsel Ford Memorial Library reports to the Dean of Academic Life.
Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience and education level, and includes meals when school is in session. Hotchkiss provides a comprehensive benefit package, which includes a variety of health insurance offerings, dental, vision, life, and short- and long-term disability offerings, HSA/FSA options, and retirement benefits through TIAA with a robust matching program.
Through our online application process, interested candidates should submit a cover letter with résumé/CV, a statement of teaching philosophy, relevant college and graduate school transcripts, and three references. Visit Hotchkiss.org/careers.
The essential functions and basic skills have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The Hotchkiss School does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, religion, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or national or ancestral origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other School-administered programs, or in the administration of its hiring and employment practices.
The Hotchkiss School is a tobacco-free environment.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.