Website City of Winooski Memorial Library
City of Winooski Job Posting
Position Title – Library Director
Salary Range – $55,723.20- $56,555.20 DOE
How to apply –.
External Candidates: Submit City of Winooski Application to Human Resources at https:\www.winooskivt.govjobs
Purpose – The Library Director position exists to provide leadership, vision, and direct service for the
Winooski Memorial Library so as to respond to the needs and interest of patrons while also establishing the
Winooski Memorial Library as a center for informational resources, literacy resources, culture, and
Funding Source: General Fund 100%
Manage Library operations to provide a broad array of programs/services (including
circulation services, reference, reader’s advisory services, children’s services,
community-based services, interlibrary loan program, and public information
resources) that are tailored to meet community needs and interests. These
programs/services will be well-organized, well-publicized in the community, and
regularly evaluated by Library staff.
Provide high-quality, friendly, and professional customer service and resources to
patrons and community members through activities such as, circulation, outreach, and
20% Oversee the hiring, supervision, evaluation and termination of library staff.
Develop well-rounded print and non-print collections, with systems in place for the
efficient selection, organization, maintenance, preservation, withdrawal and disposal of
1 Major Responsibilities are the essential functions that the individual who holds the
Position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of reasonable accommodation.
2 Approximate amount of total effort, listed from largest to smallest.
3 State the condition that appears when the responsibility is complete.
Work closely with the Library Committee to develop and implement policy; develop
short-term and long-term goals; and evaluate programs to ensure they are in keeping
with the Library’s mission.
5% Conduct research and actively seek and participate in professional development
opportunities so as to maintain knowledge of new developments in the library field.
Minor Responsibilities (5%):
• Work with the Community Services Director to prepare and manage the annual budget for Library Programs within
the constraints of the approved budget. Grant requests and reports.
• Prepare specifications for purchase of equipment and supplies.
• In partnership with the Department of Public Works, manage and maintain the Winooski Memorial Library facility in a
safe, consistent, and proactive manner.
• Collaborate with the Friends of the Library organization.
• Confer with State agencies, other public libraries, community groups and other agencies in an effort to improve
• Occasional presentations to Commission or City Council may be required.
• Complete minor administrative tasks such as time sheets in a timely and accurate manner.
• Participate in the continuous improvement of the City of Winooski by identifying concerns, and offering solutions.
• Provide a high level of customer service to both internal and external customers.
• Support the City’s commitment to equity and cultural competency.
• Encourage and participate in professional development and training activities.
• Demonstrate commitment to the City Team by learning about other departments and working collaboratively in cross
• Work in alignment with the City’s Strategic Vision Plan, and maintain an active role in the team effort required to
achieve those goals.
Full-time, regular, exempt
Compensation and Schedule:
40 hours per week
Emergency Response and On Call Requirements:
The Library Director is on-call for any Library-related emergencies, as well as any Level II or Level III emergencies in
the City of Winooski.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
These are physical and mental requirements of the position as it is typically performed. Inability to meet one or more of
these physical or mental requirements will not automatically disqualify a candidate or employee from the position. Upon
request for a reasonable accommodation, the City may be able to adjust or excuse one or more of these requirements,
depending on the requirement, the essential functions to which it relates, and the proposed accommodation.
Internal work may include occasional work performed in climate controlled office environments and/or outdoor locations,
where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases ranges from limited to frequent.
Noise level is moderate but may be amplified in certain conditions.
External work requires constant exposure to varying weather conditions while performing work at parks, highways
or other city locations. Such external work requires exposure to elevated surfaces, maintenance and construction
vehicles, and operations and conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases which may lead to
injuries typical of such work.
• Seeing • Lifting (up to 40 pounds)
• Inside • Carrying (up to 40 pounds)
• Hearing/listening • Pushing/pulling
• Clear speech • Moving objects
• Touching • Noise, moderate
• Dexterity with hand and finger • bending, kneeling, squatting
• Reading • sitting
• Math skills – moderate • dirt/dust
• Writing – moderate • Use of basic office equipment
• Analysis/comprehension –
• face-to-face contact
• Judgment/decision making • verbal contact w/others
• Clerical • standing
• Works with others and alone • Contact with others via phone or email
• Exposure to heating and cooling
systems typical of indoor work
• ability to move distances within or between locations
Reports to: Community Services Director
Direct Reports: Youth Services Coordinator, Circulations Assistant, Library Sub, Volunteers and Interns
Indirect Reports: None
Minimum Job Skills, Knowledge, Skills, and Aptitudes, and Qualifications:
● Bachelor’s degree and three years of experience including experience in public library administration.
● Ability to communicate and work effectively with a diverse group of residents.
● Ability to lead staff, provide feedback and guide decision making.
● Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work, respond to varied/changing work demands and
make decisions as required with minimal supervision.
● Proficient use of various computer programs is required (Microsoft Office, email) with a high level of
computer literacy preferred.
Post offer Pre-Employment Screening:
Criminal background and employment reference check required.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com