Website John Curtis Free Library
Town of Hanover
Job Title: Reference-Technology Librarian
Department: John Curtis Library
Reports To: Library Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared By: Ann Lee
Prepared Date: November 2019
Approved By: Joseph Colangelo, Town Manager
Manages reference and technology resources for the Library. Provides reference services, and is responsible for a portion of collection development. Is expected to comprehend and manage the library’s computer and other technology needs, including computers, databases, and associated software. Reports directly to and works under the supervision of the Library Director but functions independently.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following; other duties may be assigned:
· Provides information, reference, readers’ advisory and research assistance to library users via a variety of methods utilizing an array of sources.
· Assists in developing and maintaining the non-fiction collection, analyzing subject areas for strengths and weaknesses. Purchases titles and tracks expenses for non-fiction collection titles in conjunction with the Director.
· Works with the Library Director to identify and execute special projects, i.e. designing and conducting surveys and/or writing and administering grants.
· Provides coverage at the circulation desk as necessary.
· Responsible for coordinating and supporting Library website and Internet services; prioritizes support and troubleshooting of administrative LAN, and training other library personnel and patrons in automated procedures.
· Responsible for basic troubleshooting of computers and other electronic equipment, computer software (e.g. print management, reservations software) and computer connections (e.g. cable, wireless, SIRSI) as needed to ensure satisfactory public access.
· Attends workshops and conferences relevant to this position. Participates in network, regional, state, and/or national library committees, as time and schedule permit. Represents the Library at appropriate professional meetings and conferences as requested.
· Interacts with vendors, contractors, technology advisers and experts. Extensive interaction with Town Departments, Boards and Committees, and vendors.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The successful applicant must positively complete a criminal background investigation.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
A Master of Library Science and one year of library experience is required. Knowledge of computer operating systems, web-authoring languages, LAN systems, hardware and peripheral components essential.
·Strong organizational skills · Excellent attention to detail · Reasonable judgment · Strong verbal communications skills · Information management skills · Self-starter ·
This position has no supervisory responsibility.
This position involves frequent contact with the public, technical professionals, town employees, state and regional library associations, and vendors. Must exhibit excellent oral and written communications skills, and be able to demonstrate knowledge of current library technology.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to use research and judgement to effectively solve problems.
Ability to set priorities and work with frequent interruptions. Works independently to analyze/ evaluate current services, programs, policies and practices and to revise/develop services and programs to respond to patron needs. Generally refers problems to the Library Director only when clarification of department policies may be required.
Assigned duties may involve serving as the functional representative of the organization on routine matters of policy and procedure; must be able to affect and/or modify the actions of others where empathy and perceptiveness are required to analyze individual circumstances and determine the most appropriate course of action. Must enjoy working with all age groups.
Responsibilities require application of manual skills for lengthy portions of time where accuracy is critical.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Database software; to the extent that it meets the Town’s needs and interfaces with other existing software packages; Sirsi Dynix, Eventkeeper, Internet software; Microsoft Office programs including Word and Excel and have knowledge of or be willing to learn Overdrive, Hoopla and other software programs that are utilized by the Town.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid Massachusetts driver’s license and reliable transportation may be needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, sit, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to walk and climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time as needed. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com