Website Schenectady County Historical Society
The Schenectady County Historical Society is seeking a Librarian/Archivist. The ideal candidate for this position is a motivated, personable, and flexible self-starter with a demonstrated interest in history, and a good sense of humor. This is a full-time position with benefits. The salary is commensurate with experience. Some weekend and evening work is required.
- Oversee the maintenance of the library and archival collections of SCHS, including selection, acquisition, appraisal, processing, preservation, arrangement & description, and cataloging
- Seek and writing grants
- Oversee the library’s digitization activities
- Promote library visitation, and the library’s collections via monthly programs, outreach and marketing
- Provide reference and research assistance to diverse users
- Design and write regular content for the SCHS website, social media, newsletter, and library blog
- Manage library budget and visitor use statisticsTrain and supervise library volunteers
- Implement the SCHS collections management and development policies and strategic plan as they pertain to the Library/Archives collections
- Support SCHS staff in office duties, opening/closing procedures, and at special events
- Master’s degree in librarianship (MLS/MLIS/MSIS) from an ALA-accredited program
- Strong command of archival theory and best practices
- At least one year of professional experience in a public service role at a library or archives
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Demonstrated willingness to take initiative
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent research and reference service skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and social media tools
- Ability to multitask and maintain multiple projects at once
- Ability to work weekends and evenings (includes one Saturday each month)
- Supervisory/management experience
- Grant writing experience
- Experience with PastPerfect software
- Experience with ContentDM software
- Experience with WordPress
About the Schenectady County Historical Society
The Schenectady County Historical Society is a private, not-for-profit organization founded in 1905 with a mission to share stories, inspire dialogue, and encourage understanding of the history, people, and cultures of Schenectady County. SCHS brings to life the region’s dynamic history through interactive exhibits, programs and community events for all audiences.
The SCHS’ Grems-Doolittle Library specializes in local history and genealogy. The Library collects these materials in a variety of formats and makes them available to the public in person and through remote and digital access.
Please send a resume, cover letter, three references, and a 1-2 page writing sample to Mary Zawacki at email@example.com by May 31, 2019.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org