Website West Warwick Public Library
WEST WARWICK PUBLIC LIBRARY
Head of Children’s Services
The West Warwick Public Library seeks a creative, motivated individual for a full-time position as the Head of Children’s Services. The Head of Children’s Services works cooperatively with the Head of Teen Services to provide comprehensive library service to the youth of West Warwick. This position reports directly to the Library Director.
The Head of Children’s Services is responsible for library services for children ages birth through elementary school and their parents and caregivers. This includes collection development, early literacy programs, story-times, sensory programming, after-school programming and more. In conjunction with the Head of Teen Services this position is responsible for budgeting, planning, organizing, developing services and maintaining a collection for the entirety of the Youth Department.
Examples Of Duties
- Directs and supervises library services for children.
- Develops services and programs for young people; conducts services and programs for young people as part of regular duties.
- Makes assignments to staff; oversees, trains and evaluates staff in collaboration with Head of Teen Services.
- Coordinates children’s service operations with other library departments to develop programs and services to meet the specific needs of children and families.
- Assists children, parents, caregivers, and teachers with library services.
- Provides readers advisory and acts as a liaison with schools, daycare, and homeschoolers.
- Evaluates and maintains a collection of materials in all formats for young people.
- Assists in promoting library use both in person and digitally by creating attractive promotional materials and using social media.
- Keeps current with new trends in library planning and services.
- Meets with other Library staff and outside organizations in order to coordinate activities and exchange information.
- Attends professional development and participates in professional organizations.
- Represents the library and participates in outreach.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public library functions.
- Considerable knowledge of the needs and abilities of babies, children, and families.
- Extensive knowledge of children’s literature and children’s interests.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to develop and administer programs and activities for children and supervise the work of others.
- Practiced ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, officials of other agencies and the general public.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Creativity, planning, and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Sierra, Microsoft office, and use of PC computers.
A Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited university OR Degree conferred by May 2020. One to three years of library experience preferred and one to three years of experience working with youth. One year of supervising and scheduling staff and volunteers; OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Hours: 35 hours a week, one evening and alternate Saturdays.
An affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Send letter and resume by January 1st to:
Tom O’Donnell, Director
West Warwick Public Library
1043 Main Street
West Warwick, RI 02893
Or email: Tom@wwpl.org
To apply for this job please visit www.wwpl.org.