Website Winthrop Group
Archives and History Consulting Firm
The Manuscript Cataloger will create item-level MARC records for a diverse and large volume of manuscript materials ranging from the 17th to the 20th century. Reporting to the Lead Manuscript Cataloger, the Manuscript Cataloger will be an integral member of a small team. The full-time, salaried, 2-year contract position is located in New Haven, Connecticut and includes medical, dental, and vision benefits. Winthrop also provides employees with paid time off and funds for professional development.
- Uses Voyager cataloging module to create original item-level MARC records for manuscript materials following the institution’s cataloging guidelines and procedures.
- Assists in developing workplans.
- Ensures long-term preservation of, and access to, archival materials by implementing best practices in accurate and efficient capture of data and information for catalog records.
- Collaborates with team members and on-site staff.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library school or equivalent accredited degree with formal training in archival theory and practice. Demonstrated knowledge of archival theory and practice may be substituted for formal training.
- Demonstrated proficiency in and knowledge of: Voyager Cataloging module and Microsoft Excel;current national data content and structure standards related to the archival control of collection materials; archival and library management systems; basic preservation and conservation standards for archival and manuscript collections.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications and analytical ability.
- Experience working collaboratively and independently with varied groups within a complex organization and rapidly changing, team environment.
- Commitment to working as a team member, to problem-solving, and accuracy.
- Minimum of 2-3 years professional experience.
- Broad knowledge in the humanities, as demonstrated through academic degrees or an equivalent combination of training or experience.
- Good reading ability in one or more modern European languages.
- Experience with pre-18th century manuscript material.
- Graduate-level training in American or European history or literature.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to Rachel Greer: email@example.com with the subject line “Manuscript Cataloger”.
To apply for this job please visit winthropgroup.com.